Did You Know?
Here are some fun facts about GWC that you may not know!
- GWC Music students, faculty and alumni have won dozens of Grammy Awards.
- Since 2003, 18 GWC students have been nominated for acting scholarships by the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival.
- Since 2006, four (4) GWC students have been Kennedy Center American College Festival award winners for their work as assistant directors and stage managers in GWC theater productions.
- GWC Alumni can be seen on stage, television, and movie screens worldwide. Some graduates are behind the scenes at Disney, MGM/Universal, and touring theater companies nationwide.
- The GWC International Symphonic Band performed in Lourdes in 1999.
- GWC English Professor Dr. Paul Tayyarr was a nominee for a Pulitzer Prize in Poetry for “Postmark Atlantis” and for the Pushcart Prize, one of the most prestigious awards in American poetry.
- GWC Theater director/instructor Martie Ramm appeared in the London and 1st National companies of “A Chorus Line.”
- 19 former Rustlers have played in or are currently playing in the Major Leagues.
- 25 GWC Alumni have played professional football.
- GWC Athletes complete an average of 14 units per semester with a higher GPA than the college average.
- Since 1966, GWC Rustlers have captured more State Championships than any other California Community College.
- Suzy Brazney, GWC Softball Coach and 19-time ASA All American, was inducted into the ASA Hall of Fame in November 2010.